The Center for Education and Lifelong Learning of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki welcomes you to the Thessaloniki International Summer Media Academy under the title “New Trends in Media and Journalism”, a 55 -hour course via on-site.
The Director of the Programme is Nikolaos Panagiotou, Associate Professor at School of Journalism & Mass Communications of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
Each summer, THISAM brings together an impressive group of people passionate about journalism and its ability to influence positive change. Attendees include early career journalists, students, media entrepreneurs, scholars, leaders of NGO’s and media industry leaders. It is the interactive nature of THISAM that makes it such an exciting opportunity for attendees, especially students who come from around the world to attend. Throughout the week innovative ideas are shared and new business strategies developed. Mentoring and advising happens across career-level. The focus is on creating a hands-on, interactive, interdisciplinary experience.
In 4th Thessaloniki International Media Summer Academy, the theme is “New Trends in Media and Journalism”. How can the crisis of the pandemic be turned into an opportunity to strengthen journalism and communication? What is the viability of news outlets in a de-centralized social media news environment? How can trust in journalism and journalists be strengthened? Will new communication methods such as artificial intelligence, augmented reality, and virtual reality simply facilitate the flow of misinformation and disinformation? What are the opportunities presented by the concept of a metaverse? How can we assure that ethical issues of equity and sustainability are being addressed? What tangible steps can we take during our time at THISAM to make progress in these areas?
Upon completion of the course, participants will:
- Acquire in-depth knowledge and training on important topics and cutting-edge developments in Media, Communication and Journalism.
- Be part of a major forum where current issues and research developments are presented and discussed by distinguished international scholars.
- Gain access to an active international academic and practitioner community dedicated to innovative learning approaches.
Participant selection & Requirements
Thessaloniki International Media Summer Academy aims to select a total number of 40 junior scholars, researchers or practitioners, having the following background:
- Bachelor/ Master students of Journalism, political science, International relations, etc.
- PhD Students of Journalism, Political Science, International relations etc.
- Professionals from media and other related organisations who need a deeper understanding on the issues to be addressed.
► Relevant studies
► Experience in the subject
►Good knowledge of English language
THISAM will take place onsite in Thessaloniki. All participants have to submit a number of group and individual projects.
The course provides participants with:
- Digital material and tutorial from the lectures
Lectures & Workshops
- International Journalism (10 hours)
- Public Diplomacy (6 hours)
- Media Literacy (7 hours)
- Data Journalism (10 hours)
- Media Economics (6 hours)
- Crisis Communication (6 hours)
- Photojournalism (10 hours)
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
For the successful completion of the programme, the participants should:
- have attended all the teaching units. Absences may not exceed 10% of the scheduled training hours.
- Have completed and submitted the projects in the respective courses.
- have paid all the tuition fees by 14th of July.
Participants, who have attended but not completed successfully, will be awarded a Certificate of Attendance.
Candidates submit the application form online.
Each application has to be accompanied by the following document or copies:
- A completed application form