ANNOUNCEMENT OF CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
MARE.20 “Materials and Techniques for the Restoration of Monuments. Compatibility, Durability, Sustainability and Economy in Retrofitting Heritage Structures”
Within the framework of the Lifelong Learning Unit of AUTh, a Training Seminar of 2 weeks will be offered, starting from 30 August to 11 September 2020, under the title: MARE.20 “Materials and Techniques for the Restoration of Monuments. Compatibility, Durability, Sustainability and Economy in Retrofitting Heritage Structures”.
After the success of MARE.14 (July 2014) and MARE.17 (July 2017) with totally 55 participants from 16 countries, MARE.20 is announced. MARE.20 is a constitutional course focusing on materials and techniques for the conservation and retrofitting of heritage structures, based on the principles of Compatibility and Durability. The course is open to architects, engineers, restorers, conservators, archaeologists and other scientists and professionals involved in the restoration of monuments and historic buildings.
It is coordinated by two sectors of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki:
-Laboratory of Building Materials, School of Civil Engineering
-Interdepartmental Program of Postgraduate Studies on the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Monuments, Faculty of Engineering
while the Olympus Festival and the Ephorate of Antiquities of Pieria contribute as participating sectors.
What makes MARE courses to be distinguished among others is that they are devoted to the practical exercising of each participant with materials and techniques. Participants carry out diploma works, concerning repairing on the site of Dion which are presented at the end of the course. Relevant notes and literature are given to all participants.
Objectives of the Course
- Basics on principles and demands of restoration
- Integrated strategy for developing proper repair materials (mortars, grouts, bricks, stones)
- Problems and damages of heritage structures
- Non destructive techniques of diagnosis
- Sampling and Analysis of historic mortars
- Design of compatible and effective repair materials
- Quality control of raw materials
- Manufacture of repair materials and criteria of acceptance
- Application techniques of repair materials
- Monitoring of repair materials behaviour after interventions
Mortars, Renders, Mosaic substratum’s, Grouts, Earth blocks, Fired bricks, Advanced composite materials
The Seminar will take place in the Archaeological site of Dion and in the Laboratory of Building Materials of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
Full registration: 1200€
Students (PhD, post graduate): 1000€
Maximum number of participants: 25
The Registration fee of the Seminar includes:
- Participation in all theoritical and practical sessions
- Certificate of attendance with 10 ECTS
- Printed and electronic educational material
- Round trip travels from Katerini to Dion and Thessaloniki for the in situ and practical sessions realized at Dion and AUTH
- Accommodation in the ecclesiastic hostel of the Mitropolis of Kitrous, Katerini and Platamonos at Svoronos, Katerini
- Half-board (breakfast and lunch)
- Participation to the weekend excursion (trekking to Olympus mountain)
- Reduced prices to local festivals
For those candidates’ not needing accommodation and nutrition the registration fee is 800€.
Deadline for applications: 31st March 2020
Notification of acceptance: 30th April 2020
Applications are submitted online. The application form is available here.
For any further information or other arrangements, please contact at the e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: +30 2310 995882.
Director of the Programme
Em. Prof I. Papayianni